There is no reason you cannot update or redesign your website while maintaining your current SEO, traffic, and rankings–in fact, if you update or redesign correctly you will only increase your SEO, traffic, and rankings. However, doing an update or redesign that ignores or is careless with the very elements that contributed to your current SEO can be detrimental to your company’s viability.
Following are some tips for updating or redesigning wisely, while maintaining your SEO:
- Consider what currently drives your SEO. In your excitement to update and refresh your website, you may consider doing away with old content pages, changing all your URLs. Unfortunately, these are the very things that are driving your current SEO, so doing away with them is tantamount to cutting your SEO off at the legs.
- Crawl your current website to get general information about structure, metadata and URLs. Web crawlers are how major search engines gather important information about websites, and this information can also help you in your website update or redesign. Once you have this information, you will gain a good idea about how to set up your new website for optimal SEO.
- Audit your current website to spot problem areas, along with what search engines like and don’t like about it. This audit can help you to see what needs to be held onto through the update or redesign, and what needs to be handled. You should pay special attention to missing and duplicate page titles, page titles below two hundred or over five hundred twelve pixels, broken links and more.
- Noindex your test site. If search engines index your test site while you are working on it, this could cause major issues in the future, as these same search engines will invalidate the content when you launch the site–seeing as how they now recognize it as duplicate content.
- Crawl your test website to get general information about structure, metadata, and URLs. This information should then be compared to the information gathered about your current website to see how they match up.
It can be highly profitable to use professional developers during a website update or redesign, as they can help to smooth the entire process while maintaining a careful eye on your SEO. In this way, your new website will only be launched when it has been verified that none of the value of your current one will be lost.
We have professional web developers skilled in bringing your website up to where it needs to be for a high revenue, high site visits, and high goals for your online business. Let us help you reach your potential with a site rebuild and any other contributing points for your website.
Contact us today at Web Content Development.